Commonly Asked QuestionsAppears in Georgia Aquarium's:
- Corner Habitat (Cold Water Quest)
Range / Habitat
- Occurs in the Northern Pacific from northern California to Russia and the Sea of Okhotsk.
- Inhabits inshore waters, most often over soft, sandy bottoms.
- Found at depths to 2,300 feet (710 m).
- Sturgeon poacher displays countershading; it is darker above than below. The ventral surface is pale yellow or even orange, and the dorsal surface is gray or brown and marked with darker horizontal bars or saddles.
- The face is elongated and fringed with short cirri.
- Reaches a maximum length of 11.8 inches (30 cm).
Diet / Feeding
- Feeds on small invertebrates such as worms and shrimp as well as smaller fishes.
Reproduction / Growth
- Deposits eggs on rocks in the late winter to early spring.
- “Not Evaluated” on the IUCN Red List.
- Sturgeon poacher is sometimes found clinging upside down on the roofs of caves or small crevices.